Tuesday, July 22, 2014

College Student and Professional Fighter on road to recovery and road to graduate

College Student and Professional Fighter on road to recovery and road to graduate

Training Camp for MMA


By: Zach Rogers

Having a full-time or part-time job and being a full-time student is a struggle many college students today know all too well. Ever thought about what it would be like to be a professional fighter and college student?

Clay Harvison is a full-time college student at Kennesaw State University. He is also a professional MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) fighter. He has competed in multiple UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championships) as well.


Harvison is getting his degree in May 2015 in Communication with a focus in Media Studies and a minor in Public Relations and Film. He plans on being an engineer for Johnson & Johnson after he graduates in Summer 2015.

Harvison's Origins

"Fighting started out as an easy way to make money, then it turned into a passion," Harvison said. Harvison was enrolled at Kennesaw State in 2001 when he took kickboxing for the first time.

He then focused on individual martial arts of Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. He had hopes of mastering the three focuses in Martial Arts he was practicing to become a professional fighter in MMA.

Harvison's ring name, "Heavy Metal Harvison" is known as the pride of the South when it comes to MMA and the UFC. "I have a 12-5 record, I plan on returning after I graduate and recover from my injury," Harvison said.

TKO

Harvison, post-surgery with fluid taken from knee,
selfie taken by Harvison

On January 25, 2014, Heavy Metal Harvison fought David Lindsey at Wild Bill's Fight Night 62, the same competition where he had his first professional fight in 2007. "It was my shortest fight, not because I was ready to take him out, but because I knew something went wrong in the first 15 seconds," Harvison said.

Harvison's team coach and professional fighter Jucao Carneiro saw the fight right outside of the ring. "He started with a kickboxing move like he normally does, and then I saw that Lindsey caught his leg and twisted it, and I knew the fight was about to be over," Carneiro said.

Harvison's competition, Lindsey caught Harvison's leg when he went up for the kick, in the midst of doing that, he tore Harvison's MCL and ACL. Harvison knew he had to be out of there fast. He punched with intentions of doing a TKO, he won the fight in just under a minute.

Positive Outlooks

Harvison with girlfriend, Sam Holdren and her
son at their home in Vinings, taken by Zach Rogers
Six weeks later, Harvison under went surgery on his left knee. Since his injury, he has been able to attend to his academics full-time. "I haven't been a full time student since 2002, so I am kind of enjoying it," Harvison says.

Since his injury, his girlfriend became pregnant and he is expecting his first child with her in October 2014.

"I believe if you have a positive outlook on things, positive things will happen, and this was all in God's timing, now I have time to focus on my studies instead of training, and finish school strong next Spring," Harvison said. He plans on finishing school at Kennesaw State in May 2015.




No comments:

Post a Comment